An exciting way to enjoy the views of nature is ziplining in the Smoky Mountains. Ziplining is the naturalist’s answer to a roller coaster — without the inversions. A zipline is an overhead cable configured on an incline. Participants use harnesses and brakes to control their ride down the mountain.
For an unforgettable thrill and a Tarzan-strength adrenalin rush, go ziplining in the Smoky Mountains. There are plenty of companies that specialize in this adventure; however, they differ in focus. Every ziplining adventure does start riders “easy” and prepare them for more challenging rides. And each ziplining company suggests long pants and closed-toe shoes.
Here are some of the more notable ziplining rides around the Pigeon Forge area:
• Smoky Mountain Ziplines is a large zipline course. Their specialty is flying above and through the Smoky Mountain canopy. They have two canopy tours — lasting 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 hours respectively — and some super zip lines for a real thrill. One stipulation is that no one may ride the super zip lines without first completing a canopy tour.
• Wahoo Ziplines at Wahoo Adrenaline Park is another option for extreme fun. These ziplines were designed to resemble those in places like Costa Rica. Six long lines are suspended from 40 feet to 250 feet in the air. These are big-thrill adventures.
• Adventure Park Ziplines are located on a nature park and offer beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. For an extra thrill, this company offers a “zip at night” option.
• Gatlinburg Ziplines and Ropes Course Adventures offers more than just riding ziplines. Located next to the Smoky Mountain National Park, you can expect a pristine environment along with your thrill ride. This zipline is different in that each rider has a guide, and there is no breaking required — allowing the rider to just enjoy the trip without stress. In addition, this company accommodates riders as young as five years old.
• Zipping the Smokies, located on Family Adventure Island, is a good place to spend a day, adding other experiences to the zipline ride. This zipline is on a five-acre wooded island in the Pigeon River. Here, visitors can also experience rafting, ropes courses, geocaching and fishing.
• Legacy Mountain Ziplines is a brand new zip line in Pigeon Forge featuring four and half miles of ziplines spanning 2,500 feet… the longest zip lines in the United States!
Whatever your particular needs — teambuilding, extreme adventures or even tame fun for the younger visitor, there is a ziplining tour that fits your style. Of all the attractions around Pigeon Forge, ziplining gives riders those memories that never fade.